Crushed Red Potatoes with Winter Greens
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Flecks of red potato skin and deep green from the winter greens add festive color to the plate.
- 1 pound greens such as collards, mustard greens, broccoli rabe and/or escarole, (8 cups)
- 2 pounds small red potatoes,scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Remove tough fibrous stems and any wilted or yellow leaves from greens. Wash leaves well and cut into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a medium bowl. Crush with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon and set aside. Add the greens to the boiling water and cook until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Dry the pot, add hoil and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the cooked greens and toss with the garlic. Stir in the crushed potatoes and buttermilk. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare up to 1 hour ahead and keep warm over a larger pan of barely simmering water.
Per serving: 119 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 68 mg sodium; 615 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (76% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Folate (29% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993