Crushed Red Potatoes with Winter Greens
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Flecks of red potato skin and deep green from the winter greens add festive color to the plate.
- 1 pound greens such as collards, mustard greens, broccoli rabe and/or escarole, (8 cups)
- 2 pounds small red potatoes,scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Remove tough fibrous stems and any wilted or yellow leaves from greens. Wash leaves well and cut into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a medium bowl. Crush with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon and set aside. Add the greens to the boiling water and cook until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Dry the pot, add hoil and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the cooked greens and toss with the garlic. Stir in the crushed potatoes and buttermilk. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare up to 1 hour ahead and keep warm over a larger pan of barely simmering water.
Per serving: 119 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 68 mg sodium; 615 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (76% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Folate (29% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993