Crushed Red Potatoes with Winter Greens
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Flecks of red potato skin and deep green from the winter greens add festive color to the plate.
- 1 pound greens such as collards, mustard greens, broccoli rabe and/or escarole, (8 cups)
- 2 pounds small red potatoes,scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Remove tough fibrous stems and any wilted or yellow leaves from greens. Wash leaves well and cut into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a medium bowl. Crush with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon and set aside. Add the greens to the boiling water and cook until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Dry the pot, add hoil and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the cooked greens and toss with the garlic. Stir in the crushed potatoes and buttermilk. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare up to 1 hour ahead and keep warm over a larger pan of barely simmering water.
Per serving: 119 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 68 mg sodium; 615 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (76% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Folate (29% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Making a satisfying, low-calorie dinner is easy with our one-...
It’s easy to make a healthy dinner recipe without dirtying...
Grab a box of your favorite whole-wheat linguine or penne...
Good news for people who eat breakfast—they tend to weigh...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
Cutlets—typically a thin slice of meat cut from the rib...
Whether you’re watching your finances or just trying to put a...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
There is no room for a roast that's anything less than...
Chocolate is such a rich and indulgent treat it almost seems...
Creamy blue cheese isn’t just for salads and dressing anymore...
Chopped, layered, pulsed or stirred, these easy dips are...
Ginger pairs well with soy sauce, chile peppers and garlic,...
Our healthy pumpkin dessert recipes are lighter twists on the...
A popular meat around the globe, lamb is raised and consumed...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- November/December 1993