Crushed Red Potatoes with Winter Greens
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Flecks of red potato skin and deep green from the winter greens add festive color to the plate.
- 1 pound greens such as collards, mustard greens, broccoli rabe and/or escarole, (8 cups)
- 2 pounds small red potatoes,scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Remove tough fibrous stems and any wilted or yellow leaves from greens. Wash leaves well and cut into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a medium bowl. Crush with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon and set aside. Add the greens to the boiling water and cook until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Dry the pot, add hoil and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the cooked greens and toss with the garlic. Stir in the crushed potatoes and buttermilk. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare up to 1 hour ahead and keep warm over a larger pan of barely simmering water.
Per serving: 119 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 68 mg sodium; 615 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (76% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Folate (29% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993