Crushed Red Potatoes with Buttermilk
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
This simple preparation makes a smashing and virtually labor-free alternative to traditional mashed potatoes.
- 2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed (about 6)
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cover potatoes with cold water in a large saucepan. Add salt and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander and transfer to a medium bowl. Coarsely crush the potatoes with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon. Gently stir in buttermilk and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 88 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 314 mg sodium; 541 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- May/June 1996