Crushed Red Potatoes with Buttermilk
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
This simple preparation makes a smashing and virtually labor-free alternative to traditional mashed potatoes.
- 2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed (about 6)
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cover potatoes with cold water in a large saucepan. Add salt and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander and transfer to a medium bowl. Coarsely crush the potatoes with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon. Gently stir in buttermilk and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 88 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 314 mg sodium; 541 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1996