Crushed Red Potatoes with Buttermilk
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
This simple preparation makes a smashing and virtually labor-free alternative to traditional mashed potatoes.
- 2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed (about 6)
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cover potatoes with cold water in a large saucepan. Add salt and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander and transfer to a medium bowl. Coarsely crush the potatoes with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon. Gently stir in buttermilk and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 88 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 314 mg sodium; 541 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1996