Crushed Red Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 1996
The combination of reduced-fat sour cream and olive oil might seem unusual but it yields a delicious taste and texture in these crushed potatoes.
- 2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and halved or quartered if large
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream, shallots, parsley, milk, oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir until smooth and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and crush"but do not completely mash"potatoes with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon. Stir in the sour-cream mixture. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 122 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 54 mg sodium; 562 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1996