Crushed Red Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 1996
The combination of reduced-fat sour cream and olive oil might seem unusual but it yields a delicious taste and texture in these crushed potatoes.
- 2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and halved or quartered if large
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream, shallots, parsley, milk, oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir until smooth and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and crush"but do not completely mash"potatoes with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon. Stir in the sour-cream mixture. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 122 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 54 mg sodium; 562 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- November/December 1996