Crispy Potatoes with Green Beans & Eggs
This is a one-skillet meal, reminiscent of diner fare at roadside restaurants across the U.S. It can be made with either leftover or raw potatoes. Even while making dinner in a hurry, don't rush this dish: you want to cook the potato cubes until they are crispy outside but still creamy inside.
- 1 cup fresh or cooked green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice, or 5 cups diced cooked potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 large eggs
- Pinch of paprika, (optional)
- If using fresh green beans, cook in a large saucepan of boiling water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat until hot enough to sizzle a piece of potato. Spread potatoes in an even layer and cook, turning every few minutes with a wide spatula, until tender and browned, 15 to 20 minutes for raw potatoes, 10 to 12 minutes for cooked. Stir in the green beans, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.
- Crack each egg into a small bowl and slip them one at a time into the pan on top of the vegetables, spacing evenly. Cover and cook over medium heat until the whites are set and the yolks are cooked to your taste, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle the eggs with paprika, if desired, and serve immediately.
Per serving: 315 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 371 mg sodium; 780 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Selenium (24% dv), Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean protein, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique