Crispy Potatoes with Green Beans & Eggs
This is a one-skillet meal, reminiscent of diner fare at roadside restaurants across the U.S. It can be made with either leftover or raw potatoes. Even while making dinner in a hurry, don't rush this dish: you want to cook the potato cubes until they are crispy outside but still creamy inside.
- 1 cup fresh or cooked green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice, or 5 cups diced cooked potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 large eggs
- Pinch of paprika, (optional)
- If using fresh green beans, cook in a large saucepan of boiling water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat until hot enough to sizzle a piece of potato. Spread potatoes in an even layer and cook, turning every few minutes with a wide spatula, until tender and browned, 15 to 20 minutes for raw potatoes, 10 to 12 minutes for cooked. Stir in the green beans, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.
- Crack each egg into a small bowl and slip them one at a time into the pan on top of the vegetables, spacing evenly. Cover and cook over medium heat until the whites are set and the yolks are cooked to your taste, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle the eggs with paprika, if desired, and serve immediately.
Per serving: 315 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 371 mg sodium; 780 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Selenium (24% dv), Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean protein, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique