Crispy Fish Sandwich with Pineapple Slaw
A fish sandwich doesn’t have to be deep-fried to be delicious. Try our healthy crispy fish sandwich recipe with a tangy, zesty pineapple slaw. It’s worth taking the extra minute to chop pineapple slices instead of using crushed pineapple, which is too small and disappears into the slaw. Store-bought shredded cabbage-carrot mix saves time. Look for it in the produce section.
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 8-ounce can pineapple chunks or rings, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/4 pounds haddock or cod (see Tip), skinned and cut into 4 portions
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 slices whole-wheat country bread, toasted
- Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar and crushed red pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Add pineapple and coleslaw mix and stir to combine.
- Place cornmeal in a shallow dish. Sprinkle both sides of fish with Cajun seasoning and salt. Dredge the fish in the cornmeal.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the fish and cook until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and fish, adjusting heat as needed to prevent burning.
- Top toasted bread with the fish and pineapple slaw to make sandwiches. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: For sustainable haddock, ask for U.S. Atlantic “hook-and-line-caught.” For cod, look for wild-caught U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland or the east Arctic. For more good choices visit seafoodwatch.org.
Per serving: 372 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 7 g fiber; 658 mg sodium; 654 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (44% daily value), Magnesium (23% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Folate (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 4 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Super Bowl