Crispy Fish Sandwich with Pineapple Slaw
A fish sandwich doesn’t have to be deep-fried to be delicious. Try our healthy crispy fish sandwich recipe with a tangy, zesty pineapple slaw. It’s worth taking the extra minute to chop pineapple slices instead of using crushed pineapple, which is too small and disappears into the slaw. Store-bought shredded cabbage-carrot mix saves time. Look for it in the produce section.
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 8-ounce can pineapple chunks or rings, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/4 pounds haddock or cod (see Tip), skinned and cut into 4 portions
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 slices whole-wheat country bread, toasted
- Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar and crushed red pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Add pineapple and coleslaw mix and stir to combine.
- Place cornmeal in a shallow dish. Sprinkle both sides of fish with Cajun seasoning and salt. Dredge the fish in the cornmeal.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the fish and cook until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and fish, adjusting heat as needed to prevent burning.
- Top toasted bread with the fish and pineapple slaw to make sandwiches. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: For sustainable haddock, ask for U.S. Atlantic “hook-and-line-caught.” For cod, look for wild-caught U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland or the east Arctic. For more good choices visit seafoodwatch.org.
Per serving: 372 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 7 g fiber; 658 mg sodium; 654 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (44% daily value), Magnesium (23% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Folate (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 4 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Super Bowl