Crispy Fish Sandwich with Pineapple Slaw
A fish sandwich doesn’t have to be deep-fried to be delicious. Try our healthy crispy fish sandwich recipe with a tangy, zesty pineapple slaw. It’s worth taking the extra minute to chop pineapple slices instead of using crushed pineapple, which is too small and disappears into the slaw. Store-bought shredded cabbage-carrot mix saves time. Look for it in the produce section.
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 8-ounce can pineapple chunks or rings, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/4 pounds haddock or cod (see Tip), skinned and cut into 4 portions
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 slices whole-wheat country bread, toasted
- Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar and crushed red pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Add pineapple and coleslaw mix and stir to combine.
- Place cornmeal in a shallow dish. Sprinkle both sides of fish with Cajun seasoning and salt. Dredge the fish in the cornmeal.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the fish and cook until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and fish, adjusting heat as needed to prevent burning.
- Top toasted bread with the fish and pineapple slaw to make sandwiches. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: For sustainable haddock, ask for U.S. Atlantic “hook-and-line-caught.” For cod, look for wild-caught U.S. Pacific cod or Atlantic cod from Iceland or the east Arctic. For more good choices visit seafoodwatch.org.
Per serving: 372 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 7 g fiber; 658 mg sodium; 654 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (44% daily value), Magnesium (23% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Folate (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 4 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Super Bowl