Creamy White Beans
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
These savory white beans—flavored with garlic, thyme and bay leaf—are the perfect accompaniment for roast leg of lamb or other slow-cooked meat.
- 1 16-ounce bag dried white beans
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or more to taste
- Place beans in a bowl and add enough water to cover. Soak overnight. (Alternatively, use our quick-soak method; see Tip.)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add broth, water, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the drained beans; return to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Season with 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and simmer until very tender, 1 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours, depending on the type of beans. Season with more pepper, if desired. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; reheat and thin with a little water or broth, if desired.
- Tip: To soak beans using a “quick-soak” method, place in a large saucepan with enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
Per serving: 148 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 6 g fiber; 192 mg sodium; 597 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate & Iron (20% daily value), Potassium (17% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2011