Creamy White Beans
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
These savory white beans—flavored with garlic, thyme and bay leaf—are the perfect accompaniment for roast leg of lamb or other slow-cooked meat.
- 1 16-ounce bag dried white beans
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or more to taste
- Place beans in a bowl and add enough water to cover. Soak overnight. (Alternatively, use our quick-soak method; see Tip.)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add broth, water, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the drained beans; return to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Season with 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and simmer until very tender, 1 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours, depending on the type of beans. Season with more pepper, if desired. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; reheat and thin with a little water or broth, if desired.
- Tip: To soak beans using a “quick-soak” method, place in a large saucepan with enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
Per serving: 148 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 6 g fiber; 192 mg sodium; 597 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate & Iron (20% daily value), Potassium (17% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2011