Creamy White Beans
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
These savory white beans—flavored with garlic, thyme and bay leaf—are the perfect accompaniment for roast leg of lamb or other slow-cooked meat.
- 1 16-ounce bag dried white beans
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or more to taste
- Place beans in a bowl and add enough water to cover. Soak overnight. (Alternatively, use our quick-soak method; see Tip.)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add broth, water, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the drained beans; return to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Season with 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and simmer until very tender, 1 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours, depending on the type of beans. Season with more pepper, if desired. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; reheat and thin with a little water or broth, if desired.
- Tip: To soak beans using a “quick-soak” method, place in a large saucepan with enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
Per serving: 148 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 6 g fiber; 192 mg sodium; 597 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate & Iron (20% daily value), Potassium (17% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2011