Creamy White Beans
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
These savory white beans—flavored with garlic, thyme and bay leaf—are the perfect accompaniment for roast leg of lamb or other slow-cooked meat.
- 1 16-ounce bag dried white beans
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or more to taste
- Place beans in a bowl and add enough water to cover. Soak overnight. (Alternatively, use our quick-soak method; see Tip.)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add broth, water, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the drained beans; return to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Season with 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and simmer until very tender, 1 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours, depending on the type of beans. Season with more pepper, if desired. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; reheat and thin with a little water or broth, if desired.
- Tip: To soak beans using a “quick-soak” method, place in a large saucepan with enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
Per serving: 148 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 6 g fiber; 192 mg sodium; 597 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate & Iron (20% daily value), Potassium (17% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2011