Creamy White Beans
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
These savory white beans—flavored with garlic, thyme and bay leaf—are the perfect accompaniment for roast leg of lamb or other slow-cooked meat.
- 1 16-ounce bag dried white beans
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or more to taste
- Place beans in a bowl and add enough water to cover. Soak overnight. (Alternatively, use our quick-soak method; see Tip.)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add broth, water, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the drained beans; return to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Season with 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and simmer until very tender, 1 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours, depending on the type of beans. Season with more pepper, if desired. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; reheat and thin with a little water or broth, if desired.
- Tip: To soak beans using a “quick-soak” method, place in a large saucepan with enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
Per serving: 148 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 6 g fiber; 192 mg sodium; 597 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate & Iron (20% daily value), Potassium (17% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2011