Creamy Wheat Berry Hot Cereal
This warming whole-grain porridge pairs cooked wheat berries with rolled oats, fruit and nuts for a filling, fiber-rich breakfast. Using a microwave makes preparation speedy, especially if you've thawed frozen cooked wheat berries overnight in the refrigerator.
- 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 cups nonfat milk, or reduced-fat soymilk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups Cooked Wheat Berries, (recipe follows)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- Place oats, raisins, milk (or soymilk) and salt in a large, microwave-safe bowl. (No microwave? See Stovetop Variation.) Stir to combine. Microwave on High, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Stir in cooked wheat berries and microwave again until hot, 1 to 2 minutes more. Let stand for 1 minute. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and serve. Stovetop Variation: Bring milk (or soymilk) to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in oats, raisins and salt. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in cooked wheat berries and cook until heated through, about 1 minute more. Remove from the heat. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon; let stand for 1 minute. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Toast slivered almonds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 340 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 7 g fiber; 304 mg sodium; 392 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (28% daily value), Calcium (21% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 nonfat milk, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation