Creamy Tomato Bisque with Mozzarella Crostini
We use high-in-protein and low-in-fat silken tofu and a bit of rice instead of heavy cream to thicken this French-inspired tomato soup. Topped with a melted-cheese crostini, it's almost like getting your grilled cheese and tomato soup all in one.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup white rice
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup silken tofu
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 6 3/4-inch-thick slices baguette, preferably whole-grain
- 3 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in broth, water and rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Stir tomatoes, tofu and vinegar into the soup. Remove from the heat and puree, in batches, in a blender. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Return the soup to the pot and reheat over medium-high heat, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, top slices of baguette with mozzarella and place on a baking sheet. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls and top each serving with a cheesy crostini.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the soup (Steps 1 & 3), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When ready to serve, make crostini and reheat the soup (Steps 2 & 4).
Per serving: 218 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 355 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)