Creamy Tomato Bisque with Mozzarella Crostini
We use high-in-protein and low-in-fat silken tofu and a bit of rice instead of heavy cream to thicken this French-inspired tomato soup. Topped with a melted-cheese crostini, it's almost like getting your grilled cheese and tomato soup all in one.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup white rice
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup silken tofu
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 6 3/4-inch-thick slices baguette, preferably whole-grain
- 3 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in broth, water and rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Stir tomatoes, tofu and vinegar into the soup. Remove from the heat and puree, in batches, in a blender. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Return the soup to the pot and reheat over medium-high heat, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, top slices of baguette with mozzarella and place on a baking sheet. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls and top each serving with a cheesy crostini.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the soup (Steps 1 & 3), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When ready to serve, make crostini and reheat the soup (Steps 2 & 4).
Per serving: 218 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 4 g fiber; 355 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less