Creamy Tarragon Chicken Salad
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Reduced-fat sour cream and mayo make a sumptuous, creamy dressing for a considerably lightened take on chicken salad. Oven-poaching the chicken in broth intensifies its flavor and keeps it moist and succulent. Combined with sweet grapes and aromatic tarragon, this is an elegant version of chicken salad that's wonderful on a bed of mixed greens or a sandwich with nutty whole-grain bread.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups halved red seedless grapes
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Arrange chicken in a glass baking dish large enough to hold it in a single layer. Pour broth around the chicken. Bake the chicken until no longer pink in the center and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the breast registers 170°F, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board until cool enough to handle, then cut into cubes. (Discard broth or save for another use.)
- Meanwhile, spread walnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until lightly golden and fragrant, about 6 minutes. Let cool.
- Stir sour cream, mayonnaise, tarragon, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add celery, grapes, the chicken and walnuts; stir to coat. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Bake the chicken (Steps 1-2) and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Cover and refrigerate the salad for up to 1 day; add the nuts just before serving.
Per serving: 219 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 372 mg sodium; 354 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 3 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- August/September 2006