Creamy Radish Soup
From EatingWell: March/April 2014
In this creamy radish soup recipe, radishes are sautéed and pureed with potato, creating a velvety, healthy soup. Cooking radishes also tones down any bitterness, while leaving plenty of sweet, earthy flavors to enjoy. Using smaller radishes will give the soup a pretty pink hue, like the one pictured here, while larger radishes result in an almost white soup.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced radishes (from 2 bunches), divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato (about 8 ounces), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh radish greens or parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 3/4 cups radishes and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are beginning to brown and the radishes are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add potato, milk, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potato is tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Working in batches, puree the mixture in a blender (or in the pan with an immersion blender) until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.)
- Slice the remaining 1/4 cup radishes into matchsticks. Serve each portion of soup topped with 1 tablespoon sour cream, some radish matchsticks and a sprinkling of radish greens (or parsley).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 203 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g total sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 395 mg sodium; 610 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Calcium (20% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 low-fat milk, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- March/April 2014