Creamy Radish Soup
From EatingWell: March/April 2014
In this creamy radish soup recipe, radishes are sautéed and pureed with potato, creating a velvety, healthy soup. Cooking radishes also tones down any bitterness, while leaving plenty of sweet, earthy flavors to enjoy. Using smaller radishes will give the soup a pretty pink hue, like the one pictured here, while larger radishes result in an almost white soup.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced radishes (from 2 bunches), divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato (about 8 ounces), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh radish greens or parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 3/4 cups radishes and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are beginning to brown and the radishes are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add potato, milk, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potato is tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Working in batches, puree the mixture in a blender (or in the pan with an immersion blender) until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.)
- Slice the remaining 1/4 cup radishes into matchsticks. Serve each portion of soup topped with 1 tablespoon sour cream, some radish matchsticks and a sprinkling of radish greens (or parsley).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 203 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g total sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 395 mg sodium; 610 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Calcium (20% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 low-fat milk, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- March/April 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)