Creamy Radish Soup
From EatingWell: March/April 2014
In this creamy radish soup recipe, radishes are sautéed and pureed with potato, creating a velvety, healthy soup. Cooking radishes also tones down any bitterness, while leaving plenty of sweet, earthy flavors to enjoy. Using smaller radishes will give the soup a pretty pink hue, like the one pictured here, while larger radishes result in an almost white soup.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced radishes (from 2 bunches), divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato (about 8 ounces), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh radish greens or parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 3/4 cups radishes and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are beginning to brown and the radishes are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add potato, milk, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potato is tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Working in batches, puree the mixture in a blender (or in the pan with an immersion blender) until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.)
- Slice the remaining 1/4 cup radishes into matchsticks. Serve each portion of soup topped with 1 tablespoon sour cream, some radish matchsticks and a sprinkling of radish greens (or parsley).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 203 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g total sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 395 mg sodium; 610 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Calcium (20% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 low-fat milk, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2014