Creamy Parsnips & Pears
From EatingWell: Fall 2004
For a delightful change from mashed potatoes, try this velvety puree made with earthy parsnips and sweet autumn pears. This recipe freezes well and can be easily doubled. Thin leftovers with broth and enrich with sour cream for a delicious soup.
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large pear, (Bartlett or Anjou), peeled, cored and halved
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place parsnips, pear and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with lightly salted water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the parsnips are tender and can be easily pierced with a knife, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to a food processor. Add butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Process until completely smooth. Scrape into a serving bowl and serve hot. (To keep puree hot for up to 1 hour, cover with parchment or wax paper and set the bowl in a pan of barely simmering water.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat in a covered casserole at 350°F for 35 to 45 minutes.
Per serving: 112 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 85 mg sodium; 470 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Fall 2004