Creamy Parsnips & Pears
From EatingWell: Fall 2004
For a delightful change from mashed potatoes, try this velvety puree made with earthy parsnips and sweet autumn pears. This recipe freezes well and can be easily doubled. Thin leftovers with broth and enrich with sour cream for a delicious soup.
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large pear, (Bartlett or Anjou), peeled, cored and halved
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place parsnips, pear and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with lightly salted water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the parsnips are tender and can be easily pierced with a knife, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to a food processor. Add butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Process until completely smooth. Scrape into a serving bowl and serve hot. (To keep puree hot for up to 1 hour, cover with parchment or wax paper and set the bowl in a pan of barely simmering water.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat in a covered casserole at 350°F for 35 to 45 minutes.
Per serving: 112 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 85 mg sodium; 470 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Fall 2004