Creamy Parsnips & Pears
From EatingWell: Fall 2004
For a delightful change from mashed potatoes, try this velvety puree made with earthy parsnips and sweet autumn pears. This recipe freezes well and can be easily doubled. Thin leftovers with broth and enrich with sour cream for a delicious soup.
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large pear, (Bartlett or Anjou), peeled, cored and halved
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place parsnips, pear and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with lightly salted water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the parsnips are tender and can be easily pierced with a knife, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to a food processor. Add butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Process until completely smooth. Scrape into a serving bowl and serve hot. (To keep puree hot for up to 1 hour, cover with parchment or wax paper and set the bowl in a pan of barely simmering water.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat in a covered casserole at 350°F for 35 to 45 minutes.
Per serving: 112 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 85 mg sodium; 470 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Fall 2004