Creamy Hungarian Mushroom Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Mushroom-soup lovers, this soup is for you! Russet potatoes make it hearty, and dill and paprika add plenty of flavor. We skip the generous amount of full-fat sour cream and butter typically used in creamy mushroom soups. Serve with a green salad and warm pumpernickel bread.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons paprika, preferably Hungarian (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons dried dill
- 4 cups mushroom broth or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid evaporates, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are very soft, about 3 minutes more. Add flour, paprika and dill and cook, stirring, for 15 seconds. Add broth, milk and potatoes; cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in sour cream and salt.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days; reheat over low.
- Note: Paprika labeled “Hungarian” is worth seeking out for this soup because it delivers a fuller, richer flavor than regular paprika. Find it at well-stocked supermarkets, specialty-foods stores or online at penzeys.com.
Per serving: 232 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 703 mg sodium; 971 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium & Vitamin A (28% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Calcium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Eastern European/Russian
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 2011