Creamy Hungarian Mushroom Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Mushroom-soup lovers, this soup is for you! Russet potatoes make it hearty, and dill and paprika add plenty of flavor. We skip the generous amount of full-fat sour cream and butter typically used in creamy mushroom soups. Serve with a green salad and warm pumpernickel bread.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons paprika, preferably Hungarian (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons dried dill
- 4 cups mushroom broth or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid evaporates, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are very soft, about 3 minutes more. Add flour, paprika and dill and cook, stirring, for 15 seconds. Add broth, milk and potatoes; cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in sour cream and salt.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days; reheat over low.
- Note: Paprika labeled “Hungarian” is worth seeking out for this soup because it delivers a fuller, richer flavor than regular paprika. Find it at well-stocked supermarkets, specialty-foods stores or online at penzeys.com.
Per serving: 232 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 703 mg sodium; 971 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium & Vitamin A (28% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Calcium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Eastern European/Russian
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2011