I made this for a friend that just returned home from a week long stay in the hospital. I split it into 2 1qt pans, as there are only 2 of them, so they can freeze one and eat one now. They had the first tonight and LOVED it! She is vegetarian, so I subbed veggie crumbles for ground beef and skipped the browning step, plus added more cheese as the veggie crumbles have significantly less fat than beef. Her omnivore husband loved it too. Now I guess I need to make it for myself! :)
Creamy Hamburger Noodle Casserole
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
The EatingWell Test Kitchen takes lean ground beef and combines it with whole-grain bulgur, egg noodles and a creamy tomato sauce in a baked casserole topped with Cheddar. With less fat and calories than the original skillet meal, this dish is sure to become a new family favorite.
33 Reviews for Creamy Hamburger Noodle Casserole
This is a family favorite, so I was excited to find this healthier version. I made a few small changes which greatly improved the flavor:
1. Double the amount of garlic.
2. Saute 1/2 yellow onion (diced) with the hamburger
3. Add 1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
4. Add 1/2 tsp Oregano
5. Add 1 Tbsp sugar
Like it the way it was....didn't add any salt ...for a healthier heart.
This was really good. I did take to heart some of the comments about blandness so kicked it up a big notch, because I need spice! Lots more fresh garlic, and a stand by mix of spices I use for everything (paprika, onion powder, cayenne, etc.) It had a good spice to it, I think the bulgur adds a lot of flavor. I also used 96 lean beef, and it worked great. This one is in the go to book now.
Thanks for sharing this recipe I truly enjoyed it. My family thought it was fantastic.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)