Creamy Green Chile Chicken Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
Here’s a favorite Southwestern chicken soup recipe featuring the exquisite New Mexican green chile (but poblano peppers work well too). Traditional versions of this creamy green chile chicken soup recipe are made with heavy cream or half-and-half, but our recipe for this healthy chicken soup is made creamy with thickened low-fat milk.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 New Mexican green chiles or poblano peppers (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- Preheat grill to medium-high (if grilling chiles) or preheat oven to 400°F (if roasting chiles).
- Place chicken and broth in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, turning the chicken halfway through, until no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size. Remove from the heat. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board, leaving the broth in the pan. When cool enough to handle, shred or chop the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, grill chiles, turning frequently, until blistered on all sides, about 15 minutes. (Alternatively, roast on a baking sheet, turning once or twice with tongs, until blackened in places, 15 to 20 minutes.) When cool enough to handle, peel and remove stems and seeds. Finely chop 2 chiles; puree the other 2 in a food processor or blender with 1/4 cup of the hot broth.
- Whisk 1/2 cup of the broth in a bowl with wine and flour until smooth. Return the pan with the broth to medium heat and whisk in the flour mixture until well combined. Stir in the chopped and pureed chiles and the chicken. Add milk, salt, white pepper and oregano; heat, stirring frequently, until steaming and hot, but not boiling, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- New Mexico chiles (aka Anaheim chiles) are 7 to 10 inches long, ripen from green to red and are mildly spicy. Poblano peppers (sometimes called pasilla peppers) are dark green in color, about 6 inches long and can be fiery or relatively mild; there’s no way to tell until you taste them. The two can be used interchangeably and are found at most large supermarkets.
Per serving: 299 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 32 g protein; 2 g fiber; 687 mg sodium; 737 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (280% daily value), Potassium (21% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Calcium (18% dv), Iron & magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 reduced-fat milk, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- September/October 2013
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)