Creamy Grape Salad with Candied Walnuts
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
Traditional grape salad recipes are loaded with sugar and fat, but we made this creamy grape dessert salad recipe healthier by using reduced-fat cream cheese instead of full-fat cream cheese and using half the sugar called for in classic recipes. Bring this healthy grape salad recipe to a potluck and watch it disappear in moments.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups seedless grapes, preferably red and green (about 2 pounds)
- To prepare walnuts: Line a small baking pan with parchment paper or foil; coat with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss walnuts in a bowl with water. Sprinkle with brown sugar and salt; toss to coat well. Transfer to the prepared pan. Bake until the sugar is melted and the nuts are barely starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Cool in the pan until the sugar hardens, about 6 minutes.
- To prepare salad: Meanwhile, combine sour cream, cream cheese, honey and vanilla in a food processor and puree until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a large bowl. Add grapes and gently stir to combine. Transfer to a serving dish. Crumble the candied walnuts on top just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store candied walnuts at room temperature for up to 8 hours; cover and refrigerate salad for up to 8 hours. Top the salad with the walnuts just before serving.
Per serving: 143 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 50 mg sodium; 198 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2013
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)