Creamy Grape Salad with Candied Walnuts
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
Traditional grape salad recipes are loaded with sugar and fat, but we made this creamy grape dessert salad recipe healthier by using reduced-fat cream cheese instead of full-fat cream cheese and using half the sugar called for in classic recipes. Bring this healthy grape salad recipe to a potluck and watch it disappear in moments.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups seedless grapes, preferably red and green (about 2 pounds)
- To prepare walnuts: Line a small baking pan with parchment paper or foil; coat with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss walnuts in a bowl with water. Sprinkle with brown sugar and salt; toss to coat well. Transfer to the prepared pan. Bake until the sugar is melted and the nuts are barely starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Cool in the pan until the sugar hardens, about 6 minutes.
- To prepare salad: Meanwhile, combine sour cream, cream cheese, honey and vanilla in a food processor and puree until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a large bowl. Add grapes and gently stir to combine. Transfer to a serving dish. Crumble the candied walnuts on top just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store candied walnuts at room temperature for up to 8 hours; cover and refrigerate salad for up to 8 hours. Top the salad with the walnuts just before serving.
Per serving: 143 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 50 mg sodium; 198 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2013