Creamy Grape Salad with Candied Walnuts
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
Traditional grape salad recipes are loaded with sugar and fat, but we made this creamy grape dessert salad recipe healthier by using reduced-fat cream cheese instead of full-fat cream cheese and using half the sugar called for in classic recipes. Bring this healthy grape salad recipe to a potluck and watch it disappear in moments.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups seedless grapes, preferably red and green (about 2 pounds)
- To prepare walnuts: Line a small baking pan with parchment paper or foil; coat with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss walnuts in a bowl with water. Sprinkle with brown sugar and salt; toss to coat well. Transfer to the prepared pan. Bake until the sugar is melted and the nuts are barely starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Cool in the pan until the sugar hardens, about 6 minutes.
- To prepare salad: Meanwhile, combine sour cream, cream cheese, honey and vanilla in a food processor and puree until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a large bowl. Add grapes and gently stir to combine. Transfer to a serving dish. Crumble the candied walnuts on top just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store candied walnuts at room temperature for up to 8 hours; cover and refrigerate salad for up to 8 hours. Top the salad with the walnuts just before serving.
Per serving: 143 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 50 mg sodium; 198 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- September/October 2013