Creamy Grape Salad with Candied Walnuts
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
Traditional grape salad recipes are loaded with sugar and fat, but we made this creamy grape dessert salad recipe healthier by using reduced-fat cream cheese instead of full-fat cream cheese and using half the sugar called for in classic recipes. Bring this healthy grape salad recipe to a potluck and watch it disappear in moments.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups seedless grapes, preferably red and green (about 2 pounds)
- To prepare walnuts: Line a small baking pan with parchment paper or foil; coat with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss walnuts in a bowl with water. Sprinkle with brown sugar and salt; toss to coat well. Transfer to the prepared pan. Bake until the sugar is melted and the nuts are barely starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Cool in the pan until the sugar hardens, about 6 minutes.
- To prepare salad: Meanwhile, combine sour cream, cream cheese, honey and vanilla in a food processor and puree until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a large bowl. Add grapes and gently stir to combine. Transfer to a serving dish. Crumble the candied walnuts on top just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store candied walnuts at room temperature for up to 8 hours; cover and refrigerate salad for up to 8 hours. Top the salad with the walnuts just before serving.
Per serving: 143 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 50 mg sodium; 198 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2013