Creamy Gorgonzola Polenta with Summer Squash Sauté
Creamy Gorgonzola polenta (Italian cornmeal “porridge”) is topped with a tender squash sauté for a complete vegetarian meal. Once you know how easy polenta is to make, you may want to experiment with other Italian-style sauces and toppings. Make it a meal: Serve with crusty garlic bread and a garden salad.
- 2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 small yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Combine 2 1/2 cups broth and 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in cornmeal and pepper until smooth. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very thick and no longer grainy, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in Gorgonzola; remove the polenta from the heat.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in zucchini and squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften and brown in places, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Stir in the remaining 1 cup broth and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and the vegetables are tender, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir in basil; serve the sauté over the polenta.
Per serving: 264 calories; 14 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 5 g fiber; 356 mg sodium; 351 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian