Creamy Gorgonzola Polenta with Summer Squash Sauté
Creamy Gorgonzola polenta (Italian cornmeal “porridge”) is topped with a tender squash sauté for a complete vegetarian meal. Once you know how easy polenta is to make, you may want to experiment with other Italian-style sauces and toppings. Make it a meal: Serve with crusty garlic bread and a garden salad.
- 2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 small yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Combine 2 1/2 cups broth and 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in cornmeal and pepper until smooth. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very thick and no longer grainy, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in Gorgonzola; remove the polenta from the heat.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in zucchini and squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften and brown in places, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Stir in the remaining 1 cup broth and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and the vegetables are tender, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir in basil; serve the sauté over the polenta.
Per serving: 264 calories; 14 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 5 g fiber; 356 mg sodium; 351 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation