Creamy Date Porridge
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Dates, oats and dark brown sugar turn into a decadent breakfast treat in this creamy porridge.
- 2 cups nonfat or low-fat milk
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, (optional)
- Sliced bananas, or apples (optional)
- Plain nonfat yogurt, (optional)
- Combine milk, oats, dates, brown sugar, salt and stick in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until mixture is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick; stir in vanilla.
- Spoon into bowls and top with walnuts, sliced bananas or apples and plain nonfat yogurt (if desired).
Per serving: 194 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 212 mg sodium; 434 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (20% daily value), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat-free milk
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1998