Creamy Date Porridge
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Dates, oats and dark brown sugar turn into a decadent breakfast treat in this creamy porridge.
- 2 cups nonfat or low-fat milk
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, (optional)
- Sliced bananas, or apples (optional)
- Plain nonfat yogurt, (optional)
- Combine milk, oats, dates, brown sugar, salt and stick in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until mixture is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick; stir in vanilla.
- Spoon into bowls and top with walnuts, sliced bananas or apples and plain nonfat yogurt (if desired).
Per serving: 194 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 212 mg sodium; 434 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (20% daily value), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat-free milk
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1998