Creamy Date Porridge
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Dates, oats and dark brown sugar turn into a decadent breakfast treat in this creamy porridge.
- 2 cups nonfat or low-fat milk
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, (optional)
- Sliced bananas, or apples (optional)
- Plain nonfat yogurt, (optional)
- Combine milk, oats, dates, brown sugar, salt and stick in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until mixture is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick; stir in vanilla.
- Spoon into bowls and top with walnuts, sliced bananas or apples and plain nonfat yogurt (if desired).
Per serving: 194 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 212 mg sodium; 434 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (20% daily value), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat-free milk
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- January/February 1998