Creamy Date Porridge
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Dates, oats and dark brown sugar turn into a decadent breakfast treat in this creamy porridge.
- 2 cups nonfat or low-fat milk
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, (optional)
- Sliced bananas, or apples (optional)
- Plain nonfat yogurt, (optional)
- Combine milk, oats, dates, brown sugar, salt and stick in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until mixture is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick; stir in vanilla.
- Spoon into bowls and top with walnuts, sliced bananas or apples and plain nonfat yogurt (if desired).
Per serving: 194 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 212 mg sodium; 434 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (20% daily value), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat-free milk
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- January/February 1998