Creamy Date Porridge
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Dates, oats and dark brown sugar turn into a decadent breakfast treat in this creamy porridge.
- 2 cups nonfat or low-fat milk
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, (optional)
- Sliced bananas, or apples (optional)
- Plain nonfat yogurt, (optional)
- Combine milk, oats, dates, brown sugar, salt and stick in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until mixture is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick; stir in vanilla.
- Spoon into bowls and top with walnuts, sliced bananas or apples and plain nonfat yogurt (if desired).
Per serving: 194 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 212 mg sodium; 434 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (20% daily value), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat-free milk
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1998