Creamy Cremini Mushroom Soup
Reduced-fat sour cream and low-fat milk make this soup creamy without all the fat. The pudgy brown mushrooms called cremini are generally firmer and richer-tasting than common white mushrooms.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, (recipe follows) or 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Dry sherry, to taste (optional; see Note)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add thyme and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in mushrooms, cover pot and steam until the mushrooms exude their moisture, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes. Gradually whisk in broth, scraping up any flour that clings to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and smooth, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Combine sour cream and milk; whisk into the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Gently heat until the soup is hot but not boiling. Just before serving, stir in lemon juice and sherry (if using).
Tips & Notes
- Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 166 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 1 g fiber; 174 mg sodium; 439 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (34% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique