Creamy Cremini Mushroom Soup
Reduced-fat sour cream and low-fat milk make this soup creamy without all the fat. The pudgy brown mushrooms called cremini are generally firmer and richer-tasting than common white mushrooms.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, (recipe follows) or 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Dry sherry, to taste (optional; see Note)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add thyme and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in mushrooms, cover pot and steam until the mushrooms exude their moisture, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes. Gradually whisk in broth, scraping up any flour that clings to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and smooth, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Combine sour cream and milk; whisk into the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Gently heat until the soup is hot but not boiling. Just before serving, stir in lemon juice and sherry (if using).
Tips & Notes
- Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 166 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 1 g fiber; 174 mg sodium; 439 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (34% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less