Creamy Chocolate Gelato
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
This ultra-chocolaty, dairy-free Sicilian-style gelato—made without eggs or cream—is relatively lean but still creamy-smooth and flavorful. The coconut milk used for the base gives it a silky, rich mouthfeel and a subtle coconut flavor.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably natural (see Note)
- 2 14-ounce cans “lite” coconut milk (about 3 1/2 cups), divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Put cocoa in a medium bowl and whisk in enough coconut milk (about 2/3 cup) to make a smooth paste. Stir in vanilla.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Gradually whisk in the remaining coconut milk. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon or heatproof spatula, until the mixture begins to barely simmer around the edges. Then, stirring constantly and scraping the sides and corners of the pan to prevent scorching, let the mixture simmer for 21/2 to 3 minutes to fully cook the cornstarch. Scrape the hot mixture into the bowl with the cocoa mixture. Whisk until well blended. Let cool, undisturbed, for about 45 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 3 hours.
- Pour the gelato mixture into the canister of an ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; refrigerate for up to 1 day. Store gelato in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 week. For the best texture, let soften slightly before serving. | Equipment: Ice cream maker
- Note: Cocoa powder comes in two styles: natural and Dutch-processed. Dutch-processed cocoa has been treated with alkali, or "Dutched," to neutralize the natural acidity of cocoa, while natural has not. For this recipe, we prefer the taste of natural cocoa powder, although either type can be used.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 186 calories; 7 g fat (5 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 22 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 64 mg sodium; 83 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 carbohydrates (other)
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ice Cream Maker
- January/February 2011