Creamy Cherry Jello
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
Here we flavor plain gelatin with 100% cherry juice, and stir in creamy yogurt and fresh cherries to make a special treat. Experiment with other fruit juice and fruit combinations.
- 2 cups unsweetened 100% black cherry juice, divided
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1-2 tablespoons superfine sugar (see Note)
- 1 6-ounce container (2/3 cup) nonfat cherry or vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup halved or chopped pitted fresh cherries or thawed and drained frozen cherries
- Place 1/2 cup cherry juice in a medium bowl. Sprinkle gelatin on top and let stand for 1 minute. Bring the remaining 1 1/2 cups cherry juice to a boil in a small saucepan. Add to the gelatin mixture along with sugar to taste and whisk until the gelatin is dissolved. Whisk in yogurt until combined. Divide among 4 small dishes or ramekins. Stir 1/4 cup cherries into each portion. Refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Note: Superfine sugar dissolves instantly in liquid. It is commonly available in the baking section of most supermarkets, but if you can’t find it, simply process regular granulated sugar in a food processor or clean coffee grinder until very fine.
Per serving: 133 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 29 mg sodium; 296 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2010