Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
This zesty Cajun-style pasta is full of lean chicken, peppers and onions. Serve with sautéed green beans.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fusilli or rotini
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, bell pepper, garlic, Cajun seasoning and pepper. Cook stirring, until the onion and bell pepper are beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add flour and stir to coat. Add tomatoes and their juice; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until the sauce is bubbling and thickened and the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce. Serve sprinkled with scallions, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: We used a Cajun spice blend that contains salt. If you have a blend without salt (check the ingredients label), season the sauce with salt to taste.
Per serving: 329 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 6 g fiber; 656 mg sodium; 691 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (53% daily value), Vitamin A (23% dv), Iron (21% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2010