Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
This zesty Cajun-style pasta is full of lean chicken, peppers and onions. Serve with sautéed green beans.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fusilli or rotini
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, bell pepper, garlic, Cajun seasoning and pepper. Cook stirring, until the onion and bell pepper are beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add flour and stir to coat. Add tomatoes and their juice; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until the sauce is bubbling and thickened and the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce. Serve sprinkled with scallions, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: We used a Cajun spice blend that contains salt. If you have a blend without salt (check the ingredients label), season the sauce with salt to taste.
Per serving: 329 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 6 g fiber; 656 mg sodium; 691 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (53% daily value), Vitamin A (23% dv), Iron (21% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- November/December 2010