Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
This zesty Cajun-style pasta is full of lean chicken, peppers and onions. Serve with sautéed green beans.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fusilli or rotini
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, bell pepper, garlic, Cajun seasoning and pepper. Cook stirring, until the onion and bell pepper are beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add flour and stir to coat. Add tomatoes and their juice; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until the sauce is bubbling and thickened and the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce. Serve sprinkled with scallions, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: We used a Cajun spice blend that contains salt. If you have a blend without salt (check the ingredients label), season the sauce with salt to taste.
Per serving: 329 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 6 g fiber; 656 mg sodium; 691 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (53% daily value), Vitamin A (23% dv), Iron (21% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2010