Creamy Artichoke & Spinach Soup
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Pureed artichoke hearts in addition to eggs thicken this delectable version of the classic Greek soup, avgolemono. The lemony broth and rice remain as they do in the original. Wilted spinach adds extra color and nutrients.
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup long-grain white rice, such as basmati
- 4 cups packed baby spinach
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, rinsed
- 2 large eggs
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring broth and rice to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the rice is very tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in spinach.
- Place artichoke hearts, eggs and lemon juice in a blender; cover and puree. With the motor running, ladle about half of the rice mixture into the blender and puree until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Return the pureed mixture to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F, reducing the heat as necessary to prevent the soup from boiling. Stir in dill and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat over low heat, without boiling.
Per serving: 230 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 218 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 6 g fiber; 780 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (130% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Folate (36% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 112
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two