Creamy Artichoke & Spinach Soup
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Pureed artichoke hearts in addition to eggs thicken this delectable version of the classic Greek soup, avgolemono. The lemony broth and rice remain as they do in the original. Wilted spinach adds extra color and nutrients.
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup long-grain white rice, such as basmati
- 4 cups packed baby spinach
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, rinsed
- 2 large eggs
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring broth and rice to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the rice is very tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in spinach.
- Place artichoke hearts, eggs and lemon juice in a blender; cover and puree. With the motor running, ladle about half of the rice mixture into the blender and puree until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Return the pureed mixture to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F, reducing the heat as necessary to prevent the soup from boiling. Stir in dill and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat over low heat, without boiling.
Per serving: 230 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 218 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 6 g fiber; 780 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (130% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Folate (36% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 112
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two