Creamy Artichoke & Spinach Soup
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Pureed artichoke hearts in addition to eggs thicken this delectable version of the classic Greek soup, avgolemono. The lemony broth and rice remain as they do in the original. Wilted spinach adds extra color and nutrients.
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup long-grain white rice, such as basmati
- 4 cups packed baby spinach
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, rinsed
- 2 large eggs
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring broth and rice to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until the rice is very tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in spinach.
- Place artichoke hearts, eggs and lemon juice in a blender; cover and puree. With the motor running, ladle about half of the rice mixture into the blender and puree until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Return the pureed mixture to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F, reducing the heat as necessary to prevent the soup from boiling. Stir in dill and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat over low heat, without boiling.
Per serving: 230 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 218 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 6 g fiber; 780 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (130% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Folate (36% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 112
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two