From EatingWell: April/May 2005
EatingWell's updated version of creamed spinach has a low-in-fat cream sauce that's rich with Parmesan cheese and nutmeg.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallot, or red onion
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, tough stems removed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add shallot (or onion); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, until smooth and bubbling, about 30 seconds. Add milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper; cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir the spinach into the sauce. Sprinkle with grated cheese and serve.
Per serving: 203 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 370 mg sodium; 870 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (280% daily value), Folate (74% dv), Vitamin C (70% dv), Magnesium (30% dv), Calcium (28% dv), Potassium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2005