From EatingWell: April/May 2005
EatingWell's updated version of creamed spinach has a low-in-fat cream sauce that's rich with Parmesan cheese and nutmeg.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallot, or red onion
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, tough stems removed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add shallot (or onion); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, until smooth and bubbling, about 30 seconds. Add milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper; cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir the spinach into the sauce. Sprinkle with grated cheese and serve.
Per serving: 203 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 370 mg sodium; 870 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (280% daily value), Folate (74% dv), Vitamin C (70% dv), Magnesium (30% dv), Calcium (28% dv), Potassium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- April/May 2005