From EatingWell: April/May 2005
EatingWell's updated version of creamed spinach has a low-in-fat cream sauce that's rich with Parmesan cheese and nutmeg.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallot, or red onion
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, tough stems removed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add shallot (or onion); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, until smooth and bubbling, about 30 seconds. Add milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper; cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir the spinach into the sauce. Sprinkle with grated cheese and serve.
Per serving: 203 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 370 mg sodium; 870 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (280% daily value), Folate (74% dv), Vitamin C (70% dv), Magnesium (30% dv), Calcium (28% dv), Potassium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- April/May 2005