Cream Sauce without the Cream
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Here’s a formula for making “cream sauce without the cream” to use as a healthy replacement for fat- and calorie-rich cream sauces in your favorite soups, pastas or sauces. This healthy recipe for cream sauce without heavy cream makes a big batch, more than you’ll most likely need for one recipe, so refrigerate or freeze the extra sauce to use in other recipes.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup long- or medium-grain white rice
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or “no-chicken” broth (see Tip)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, preferably white
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Add broth and wine and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until the rice is very soft and the liquid is greatly reduced, about 25 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree, in batches if necessary, until smooth. (Alternatively, puree in the pot with an immersion blender.) The consistency should be similar to a pourable sauce; add more broth or water as needed. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator or using the defrost setting on your microwave.
- Tip: To make the sauce vegetarian, we like to use chicken-flavored vegetarian broth over regular vegetable broth for its hearty, rich flavor and pale yellow color. Look for “no-chicken” broth in the natural-foods section of well-stocked supermarkets.
Per cup: 159 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 563 mg sodium; 259 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- January/February 2013