Cream Sauce without the Cream
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Here’s a formula for making “cream sauce without the cream” to use as a healthy replacement for fat- and calorie-rich cream sauces in your favorite soups, pastas or sauces. This healthy recipe for cream sauce without heavy cream makes a big batch, more than you’ll most likely need for one recipe, so refrigerate or freeze the extra sauce to use in other recipes.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup long- or medium-grain white rice
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or “no-chicken” broth (see Tip)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, preferably white
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Add broth and wine and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until the rice is very soft and the liquid is greatly reduced, about 25 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree, in batches if necessary, until smooth. (Alternatively, puree in the pot with an immersion blender.) The consistency should be similar to a pourable sauce; add more broth or water as needed. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator or using the defrost setting on your microwave.
- Tip: To make the sauce vegetarian, we like to use chicken-flavored vegetarian broth over regular vegetable broth for its hearty, rich flavor and pale yellow color. Look for “no-chicken” broth in the natural-foods section of well-stocked supermarkets.
Per cup: 159 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 563 mg sodium; 259 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2013