From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Literally translated as “smothered” and pronounced ay-TOO-fay, the crawfish recipe is typically a saucy stew served over rice. In this healthy recipe from chef Patrick Mould, the tasty crustaceans (use shrimp if you can’t find crawfish) are smothered in a sauce made with plenty of onions, garlic and Cajun seasoning.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups minced onions (2 large onions)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 pound cooked cleaned crawfish tail meat or chopped shrimp
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions start to become translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add thyme and flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth, Cajun seasoning, paprika and hot sauce. Cook until the mixture thickens slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in crawfish (or shrimp). Bring to a gentle simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in scallions and parsley.
Per serving: 204 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 151 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 2 g fiber; 277 mg sodium; 553 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Folate (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetables, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 2012