From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Literally translated as “smothered” and pronounced ay-TOO-fay, the crawfish recipe is typically a saucy stew served over rice. In this healthy recipe from chef Patrick Mould, the tasty crustaceans (use shrimp if you can’t find crawfish) are smothered in a sauce made with plenty of onions, garlic and Cajun seasoning.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups minced onions (2 large onions)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 pound cooked cleaned crawfish tail meat or chopped shrimp
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions start to become translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add thyme and flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth, Cajun seasoning, paprika and hot sauce. Cook until the mixture thickens slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in crawfish (or shrimp). Bring to a gentle simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in scallions and parsley.
Per serving: 204 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 151 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 2 g fiber; 277 mg sodium; 553 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Folate (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetables, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012