From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Literally translated as “smothered” and pronounced ay-TOO-fay, the crawfish recipe is typically a saucy stew served over rice. In this healthy recipe from chef Patrick Mould, the tasty crustaceans (use shrimp if you can’t find crawfish) are smothered in a sauce made with plenty of onions, garlic and Cajun seasoning.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups minced onions (2 large onions)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 pound cooked cleaned crawfish tail meat or chopped shrimp
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions start to become translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add thyme and flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth, Cajun seasoning, paprika and hot sauce. Cook until the mixture thickens slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in crawfish (or shrimp). Bring to a gentle simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in scallions and parsley.
Per serving: 204 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 151 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 2 g fiber; 277 mg sodium; 553 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Folate (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetables, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012