From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Literally translated as “smothered” and pronounced ay-TOO-fay, the crawfish recipe is typically a saucy stew served over rice. In this healthy recipe from chef Patrick Mould, the tasty crustaceans (use shrimp if you can’t find crawfish) are smothered in a sauce made with plenty of onions, garlic and Cajun seasoning.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups minced onions (2 large onions)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 pound cooked cleaned crawfish tail meat or chopped shrimp
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions start to become translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add thyme and flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth, Cajun seasoning, paprika and hot sauce. Cook until the mixture thickens slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in crawfish (or shrimp). Bring to a gentle simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in scallions and parsley.
Per serving: 204 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 151 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 2 g fiber; 277 mg sodium; 553 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Folate (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetables, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2012