Cranberry Sauce with Star Anise
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
This cranberry sauce recipe is scented with star anise, which has a dynamic flavor—earthy, spicy and sweet at the same time.
- 10 whole star anise (see Tip)
- 2 12-ounce bags cranberries, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2/3 cup orange juice, preferably fresh-squeezed
- Place star anise in cheesecloth and tie into a bundle with a piece of kitchen string. Combine cranberries, sugar, water, orange zest and juice in a medium saucepan. Add the star anise bundle and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries have burst, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove star anise before serving. Serve warm or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months. Equipment: Cheesecloth, kitchen string
- Tip: Look for the star-shaped anise pods in the bulk-spice sections of natural-foods stores, in Asian markets or online at penzeys.com.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 89 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 17 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 58 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- November/December 2012