Cranberry Sauce with Star Anise
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
This cranberry sauce recipe is scented with star anise, which has a dynamic flavor—earthy, spicy and sweet at the same time.
- 10 whole star anise (see Tip)
- 2 12-ounce bags cranberries, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2/3 cup orange juice, preferably fresh-squeezed
- Place star anise in cheesecloth and tie into a bundle with a piece of kitchen string. Combine cranberries, sugar, water, orange zest and juice in a medium saucepan. Add the star anise bundle and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries have burst, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove star anise before serving. Serve warm or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months. Equipment: Cheesecloth, kitchen string
- Tip: Look for the star-shaped anise pods in the bulk-spice sections of natural-foods stores, in Asian markets or online at penzeys.com.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 89 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 17 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 58 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2012