Cranberry Sauce with Star Anise
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
This cranberry sauce recipe is scented with star anise, which has a dynamic flavor—earthy, spicy and sweet at the same time.
- 10 whole star anise (see Tip)
- 2 12-ounce bags cranberries, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2/3 cup orange juice, preferably fresh-squeezed
- Place star anise in cheesecloth and tie into a bundle with a piece of kitchen string. Combine cranberries, sugar, water, orange zest and juice in a medium saucepan. Add the star anise bundle and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries have burst, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove star anise before serving. Serve warm or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months. Equipment: Cheesecloth, kitchen string
- Tip: Look for the star-shaped anise pods in the bulk-spice sections of natural-foods stores, in Asian markets or online at penzeys.com.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 89 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 17 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 58 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2012