Cranberry Sauce with Star Anise
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
This cranberry sauce recipe is scented with star anise, which has a dynamic flavor—earthy, spicy and sweet at the same time.
- 10 whole star anise (see Tip)
- 2 12-ounce bags cranberries, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2/3 cup orange juice, preferably fresh-squeezed
- Place star anise in cheesecloth and tie into a bundle with a piece of kitchen string. Combine cranberries, sugar, water, orange zest and juice in a medium saucepan. Add the star anise bundle and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries have burst, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove star anise before serving. Serve warm or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months. Equipment: Cheesecloth, kitchen string
- Tip: Look for the star-shaped anise pods in the bulk-spice sections of natural-foods stores, in Asian markets or online at penzeys.com.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 89 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 17 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 58 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- 8 or more
- November/December 2012