Cranberry & Ruby Grapefruit Compote
Light enough to follow even a substantial meal, this pretty compote has a refreshing balance of sweet and tart flavors. Serve with vanilla frozen yogurt for dessert or with plain yogurt for breakfast or brunch.
- 1 3/4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 3/4-by-2 1/2-inch strips orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick, (optional)
- 3 large red grapefruit
- Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
- Combine cranberries, water, orange zest, orange juice, sugar and cinnamon stick (if using) in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often, until the cranberries are tender and begin to pop, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Cover loosely and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 2 hours.
- An hour or two before serving, prepare grapefruit: With a sharp knife, remove the skin and all the white pith from the fruit. Working over a bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membranes. Squeeze juice from the membranes into the bowl before discarding. Add the segments and juice to the cranberry mixture. To serve, divide the compote among 6 dessert bowls and garnish with mint. Cranberry & Pear Variation: Instead of grapefruit, peel and core 3 to 4 Bartlett or Anjou pears; cut into 1/2-inch wedges. In Step 1, after the mixture comes to a boil, add pears and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer gently until the cranberries and pears are tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Cover loosely and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 2 hours. Omit Step 2.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 140 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 236 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour