Cranberry & Ruby Grapefruit Compote
Light enough to follow even a substantial meal, this pretty compote has a refreshing balance of sweet and tart flavors. Serve with vanilla frozen yogurt for dessert or with plain yogurt for breakfast or brunch.
- 1 3/4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 3/4-by-2 1/2-inch strips orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick, (optional)
- 3 large red grapefruit
- Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
- Combine cranberries, water, orange zest, orange juice, sugar and cinnamon stick (if using) in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often, until the cranberries are tender and begin to pop, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Cover loosely and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 2 hours.
- An hour or two before serving, prepare grapefruit: With a sharp knife, remove the skin and all the white pith from the fruit. Working over a bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membranes. Squeeze juice from the membranes into the bowl before discarding. Add the segments and juice to the cranberry mixture. To serve, divide the compote among 6 dessert bowls and garnish with mint. Cranberry & Pear Variation: Instead of grapefruit, peel and core 3 to 4 Bartlett or Anjou pears; cut into 1/2-inch wedges. In Step 1, after the mixture comes to a boil, add pears and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer gently until the cranberries and pears are tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Cover loosely and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 2 hours. Omit Step 2.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 140 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 236 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour