From EatingWell: November/December 1995
Cranberries and pear flavor this traditional French dessert.
- 1 pear, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup evaporated nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Place oven rack in upper third of oven. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly oil a 9-inch glass pie plate or coat it with cooking spray.
- Combine pear, cranberries and 1/3 cup of the sugar in the baking dish. Bake until the fruit is tender and very juicy, about 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs, flour, vanilla and the remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in evaporated milk.
- Drain the juices from the baked fruit into a small bowl, holding back the fruit with a metal spatula. Reserve the juices. Redistribute the fruit over the bottom of the dish and pour in the egg mixture. Bake or until puffed and set, about 12 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. Serve warm, with the reserved fruit juices spooned over the top.
Per serving: 223 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 107 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 60 mg sodium; 179 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 fruit, 1/2 medium-fat protein
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- November/December 1995