From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Start your day off right with these easy pancakes, packed with cranberry's sour spike. One of you can make the coffee and heat the maple syrup while the other makes the pancakes. It's instant relationship bliss.
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, or 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons pasteurized egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters
- 1 1/2 teaspoons walnut or canola oil
- Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add cranberries; boil for 2 minutes. Drain and cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg (if using) in a large bowl.
- Whisk milk, egg substitute, oil and vanilla (if using) in a small bowl until combined.
- Coarsely chop the cranberries; stir into the milk mixture. Stir the milk mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined.
- Coat a griddle or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Using 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, cook 2 pancakes at a time until bubbles dot the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until browned, 1 to 2 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Per serving: 189 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 336 mg sodium; 185 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- November/December 2007