From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Start your day off right with these easy pancakes, packed with cranberry's sour spike. One of you can make the coffee and heat the maple syrup while the other makes the pancakes. It's instant relationship bliss.
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, or 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons pasteurized egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters
- 1 1/2 teaspoons walnut or canola oil
- Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add cranberries; boil for 2 minutes. Drain and cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg (if using) in a large bowl.
- Whisk milk, egg substitute, oil and vanilla (if using) in a small bowl until combined.
- Coarsely chop the cranberries; stir into the milk mixture. Stir the milk mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined.
- Coat a griddle or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Using 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, cook 2 pancakes at a time until bubbles dot the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until browned, 1 to 2 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Per serving: 189 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 336 mg sodium; 185 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- November/December 2007