From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Not as sweet as most cranberry relishes, this ruby-colored condiment is a perfect foil for the dark meat.
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss onions with sugar and oil in a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until the onions are very tender and golden, 1 to 1 1/4 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a medium saucepan and add cranberries, orange juice and zest, vinegar and salt. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until the cranberries are tender and the mixture is thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per tablespoon: 38 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 74 mg sodium; 59 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992