From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Not as sweet as most cranberry relishes, this ruby-colored condiment is a perfect foil for the dark meat.
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss onions with sugar and oil in a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until the onions are very tender and golden, 1 to 1 1/4 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a medium saucepan and add cranberries, orange juice and zest, vinegar and salt. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until the cranberries are tender and the mixture is thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per tablespoon: 38 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 74 mg sodium; 59 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992