From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Not as sweet as most cranberry relishes, this ruby-colored condiment is a perfect foil for the dark meat.
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss onions with sugar and oil in a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until the onions are very tender and golden, 1 to 1 1/4 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a medium saucepan and add cranberries, orange juice and zest, vinegar and salt. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until the cranberries are tender and the mixture is thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per tablespoon: 38 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 74 mg sodium; 59 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- November/December 1992